How to Care and Wash Mattress Protector
How to Care and Wash Mattress Protector
Your mattress protector is a silent warrior that protects you even when you are asleep. A mattress cover is a fitted sheet that goes over your mattress and keeps your mattress clear of any bacteria, dead skin, and even allergens. Waterproof mattress protectors keep the mattress clean by securing it from absorbing body excretions (such as sweat ) or other liquids resulting from spills. In contrast, mattress pads and mattress toppers are primarily used to provide comfort features for the user. Not only that, but a mattress protector even protects you from things like dust kites, dust, and even mold. It does this by taking all the damage. It has a membrane that holds all the threats at bay while the fabric at its surface collects all the allergens and absorbs all the fluids.
Since your mattress protector takes a bullet each night for you, you need to take care of it by cleaning it adequately. Trust us when we say this, you don't want your mattress cover to have yellow stains or, worse, an odor due to bacteria build-up.
There is always an ongoing debate as to whether you should wash your mattress protector or not. So today, this guide will not only answer that question but will also teach you the right way to clean your mattress protector.
Can You Actually Wash Your Mattress Protector?
The short answer is yes. You can wash your mattress protector. Usually, these covers have a surface made up of fabric and a plastic membrane. So it is safe to wash it. However, you have to be careful because the plastic membrane can tear due to washing it in high temperatures, using bleach, or even harsh detergents. The exact temperature setting depends on each product, but most of the time, using lukewarm temperature is the safest bet. In some cases, if the product is comparatively more inexpensive, it's safe not to even go above the cold setting.
We know it's tempting to wash your mattress protectors on high heat settings to get rid of all the bacteria properly. Still, it will only damage the waterproof layer, so resist the temptation for the greater good.
The Right Way to Wash a Mattress Protector
Just how each individual has different habits when it comes to their sleep, similarly, each mattress cover has different needs when it comes to washing it. To clean the protector, simply machine wash in cool to warm water and then tumble dry on a low setting. So it is really important to check all the labels and the instructions that come with them. Some mattress protectors are machine washable, while others are non-machine washable.
How To Wash Machine-Washable Mattress Protectors
Mattress covers that can be washed in a machine are comparatively easy to take care of, like these mattress protectors.
Always Check the Labels
This is the first thing you should do when you get a mattress protector. Check its label because it will give you any information you need to take care of it and wash it. Information like what temperature setting you should or shouldn't use. You also get other information like any specific dryer cycle you need to use or any special step you need to carry out.
Put the Mattress Protector in the Washer
According to the labels and information you have gathered, put the mattress protector in the washer. If you want, you can also put fabric that has similar material to that cover, such as a bed lining.
Here are some important tips you should remember when washing your mattress protector:
1) If you don't have any labels to look at and are confused about what temperature setting you should use, stick to cold settings. This way, your water roof layer will stay protected, and the cover won't shrink as well.
2) Use a mild detergent as using a harsh detergent can ruin the fluid-protection membrane because of all the harsh chemicals. Ensure that the detergent doesn't have any fabric softeners because it affects the absorption ability of the cover. We don't want any nasty stains on our mattress, now do we?
3) Don't use any bleach. We shouldn't even have to say anything else. Bleach is too hard and will ruin your mattress protector.
Dry Your Mattress Protector
Whether you use a tumble dryer, a fan, or just decide to air dry it, it all depends on your mattress protector (and maybe also depends on what you feel like, that is, if you have the option)
How to Wash Non-Machine-Washable Mattress Protector
Certain mattress protectors cannot be washed in a washing machine. In this case, you will have to do a bit of manual labor, but it's not hard.
All you have to do is unzip your mattress protector and remove it from your mattress. Use a cloth to dab all the excess stain on the fabric part of the cover. Hand wash the rest of the fabric (mind the temperature of the water you are using). It's better to air dry the cover to prevent any shrinkage due to the heat. And you are all done.
How Often Should You Wash your Mattress Protector
Now that we have gone through HOW to wash your mattress protector let’s talk about how OFTEN you should wash it.
Usually, you should wash your mattress protector every two months, but that might have to be changed depending on how you use it.
1. If there is a stain on your cover, don’t wait for it to settle in, wash it immediately, or else it will be extra work for you later on.
2) If you used a mattress protector while you were sick, try and wash it as soon as you feel better to get rid of all the bacteria build-up, so you don't get sick because of it again.
3) If there is a mattress protector (like the one in a guest room) that isn't used most of the time, you can wash it every four months. Try not to stretch it any more than that because then A LOT of dust will accumulate.
4) If you are prone to allergies, it's best to wash your cover around two times a month. This way, you will get rid of all the allergens that would've otherwise triggered your allergies.
Here's our conclusions:
So here you go, from ‘should I wash my mattress protector?’ To ‘how do I wash my mattress cover?’ And ‘how often should I wash it?’ All of your questions were answered. Keep your mattress cover fresh and new all year long.
If you’re looking for new sheets that not only look great but help keep you cool, you can’t go wrong with our Sleep Zone Mattress Protector. With over 220 5-star reviews, you can guarantee that you’re going to get a comfortable nights’ sleep!