Best Foods to Eat in the Summer
Summer time brings high temperatures and a lot of sunshine. It’s easy to become dehydrated on hot summer days. To prevent dehydration, it’s important to drink water. It is also essential to eat rehydrating foods. Many of these foods also have additional benefits which help with boosting your immunity. Additionally, they help you to maintain a healthy weight.
Here is a list of the best foods you can consume during the hot summer months.
- Watermelon – this juicy fruit consists of approximately 92% water. This means it is one of best ways to hydrate during the summer. It keeps you cool and it also contains lycopene which helps protect your skin from sun damage.
- Orange – Oranges are high in immunity boosting Vitamin C. They are 80% water which is great for keeping hydrated. When you sweat a lot in the summer you also lose potassium. This makes your muscles at risk for cramps which can be dangerous if you are swimming or performing outdoor activities. Oranges contain potassium to help you replenish your stores.
- Yogurt – Yogurt whether it’s plain Greek yogurt or flavored is a great summer snack. It can be used in a variety of ways. You can make yogurt popsicles to cool you down. It’s a healthier option to sugar packed popsicles and ice cream.
- Chicken and salmon – These meats cook fast which means you can spend less time in a hot kitchen. They are also light and easy to digest and won’t make you feel lethargic after a meal.
- Tomato – Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene. They also contain a high water content and have a great amount of other beneficial vitamins including antioxidants, vitamin C and potassium.
- Green leafy salads – Salads made with spinach, lettuce, kale and other leafy greens are a great summer meal. These salad ingredients contain carotenoids which is good for your skin and exposure to UV rays. Carrots, pink grapefruit and cantaloupes also contain carotenoids.
- Cucumbers and zucchini – These vegetables are hydrating and anti-inflammatory. Slices of cucumber in your water enhances the taste and encourages you to drink more. If your eyes are tired, you can place slices of cucumber over them for a soothing effect.
These foods are essential in the summer because they help keep you hydrated and are packed with vitamins. They enable your body to protect your skin against sun exposure and repair itself. They also boost your immune system, helps with weight loss goals and are healthy choices in general.
Other fruits that can be beneficial during the summer (and all year round) are: Strawberries, blueberries, apples and peaches. These fruits also contain anti-oxidants, have high water content, vitamin C and more. Drinks such as green tea, coconut water and natural fruit juices are also recommended. Keeping hydrated in the summer time is important, the negative impact of excess heat can affect your health. Keep cool and stay healthy with the amazing summer foods.